Sunday, January 29, 2012

How to make your own hand painted fabric!

Here is my handpainted mini fabric line!
If you have never tried your hand at painting fabric, please do, it's fun and rewarding.  Now the next challenge will be to create a small quilt with it. 


I'll keep you posted!



How did I do this, well I started off with Prepared for Dyer's fabric known as PFD which you can get at your local quilt shop.



Next you wet your fabric,  I put my fabric into the jug, you can use a basin or plastic tub.


  • Once your fabric is completely wet, squeeze out the excess water and lay it flat on an old towel (fold the towel in four, so you have 4 layers)
  • Mix your paint (I used Pebeo Setacolour transparent and opaque) with water and start brushing away. 


Once you have your fabric painted, cover your ironing board with an old towel 
  • place your piece face down, and with a hot iron (cotton setting) iron piece until it's dry. Place your painted fabric back on your painter's towel and paint with a variety of rubber or wood block stamps  using an all over pattern. 





  • Return to the ironing board and place your piece face down and iron from the back. Iron until the paint is completely dry!   Viola, your piece is heat set and ready to quilt with!

No comments: